An Indonesian OPEN worker wrote the following in his newsletter recently. He started out explaining that though there are many traditional organizational workers in the country, his team choose to do business. Though it clearly takes time, energy and money, here’s what he writes.
Why do I do business?
In some countries, business is one of the only ways foreigners can get into a country. For us, it goes far beyond access…
· Business is providing us opportunities to bless a community and see real transformation take place.
· Business breeds authenticity. As we work, our staff see us on both the good days and the bad days.
· We live out our witness 24/7 and demonstrate how the Gospel penetrates all of life.
· Business builds relationships. We have opportunities all the time to encourage, share, and pray for our staff, clients, and suppliers.
· Business enables us to be intentional with what God brings our way.
· Business brings growth to the community.
The parable of the talents is about stewarding God’s resources towards growth. As we do this, we are realizing the impact goes beyond financial, but also spiritual, social, and environmental.